As I have been on the look out for new and exciting frugal recipes that are dairy and soy free. I was making a dish that needed sour cream, and due to my dairy and soy free diet I am not able to use sour cream so I went on the internet and searched for what to use. I was looking for a substitute, but then I came across a recipe that made sour cream out of cashews.
I printed it off, made some adjustments so it was more like sour cream and I tasted it. I LOVE IT!!! It is SO yummy and tastes just like real sour cream.
This would be great on the Low Budget Cooking Chicken Enchiladas
Dairy Free Cashew Sour Cream Substitute
- 1 cup raw cashews (must not be roasted or salted)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup cold water
- Cover cashews with water and soak while you prep other ingredients. (you can soak for up to 12 hours before you use them)
- Add cold water, salt, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Pour off all water from nuts, and place in food processor.
- Puree for 3-4 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy in consistency.
- Use in any recipe that calls for sour cream.
- stores in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to a week.
What do you make with sour cream?
Check out more frugal recipes!