When I first started cooking stuffed peppers, I wanted to explore all the different types of recipes and grains to go in them. One of the first ones I tried was stuffed peppers with couscous.
I decided on couscous because my husband likes it and it is easy for me to work with. To get the right mixture I had to add a lot of tomato sauce to the recipe making it tomato stuffed peppers with couscous. I think it turned out really well so I have continued to perfect it.
This recipe is a great one is you love soft fillings in your stuffed peppers recipes if not you should try a heartier filling like our Beef Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
Stuffed Peppers With Couscous
- 6 bell peppers – any color. I like this best with green peppers.
- 1½ pounds lean ground turkey meat
- 4 (15 ounce) cans of tomato sauce
- ½ large onion chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups cooked couscous
- ½ cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the tops off your peppers and remove the cores. Reserve the tops.
- Place your peppers in a baking dish that fits the peppers snuggly.
- Pour 2 of the 3 cans of tomato sauce into the bottom of the pot so your peppers have a nice little pool to swim in during baking.
- Pop out the middles of your pepper tops and chop them
- Put your veggies in a pan with the olive oil and sauté until they are nice and soft.
- Put your cooked veggies into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan you cooked your veggies in, cook your turkey in the ½ cup of broth.
- Add your spices.
- In the last 3-5 minutes of cooking, return your veggies to the pan. Mix well.
- Turn off heat under pan and add couscous and your remaining tomato sauce to pan. Stir well.
- Fill your peppers with the meat mixture.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for approximately one hour, or until the peppers are very soft.
- Cool and serve with a little sauce poured over the top.
Sign up for free updates via email and get a FREE printable of "10 Thing You Could Do Today to Save Money on Your Household Budget"!