Who doesn’t like a nice bowl of creamy soup on a cold day. Here in Southern California The days are still warm and some days feels like summer. But I still LOVE soup this time of year so I cook it all the time.
This soup has quickly become a favorite in our family. We all love the taste and the texture. It is even simple enough that babies could eat it. Just be careful not to make it too spicy if a baby is eating it.
I found a recipe in Woman’s day that gave me the idea, but it had some crazy ingredients that we didn’t have and I wasn’t about to go buy just for this soup. So I made up my own and was so excited for the outcome! The best part is that it is made with dried black beans!
It is a super simple recipe for anyone on a budget and is a great way to have a healthy family meal on a budget!
Black Bean Soup
- 6 cups water and 6 tsp Chicken Bullion or 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic or 4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1lb of dried black beans, rinsed
- 2 chicken breasts (optional)
- salt (optional)
- sour cream
- fresh salsa
- In a slow cooker combine chicken broth, onion, garlic, peppers, and cumin.
- Add beans and chicken; cook, covered, until beans are tender ad chicken easily shreds. about 7-8 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high
- Transfer chicken to a bowl or plate and shred. (can use a fork if you don't want to let them cook so you can touch them)
- Using a blender, puree ½ of the soup and stir back in
- Stir chicken back into the soup and season to taste with salt. Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Check out the rest of our Frugal Family Recipes!