Since it has been REALLY cold here lately (like 43 degrees ) I thought I would make a soup recipe that I haven’t made in a while.
This is actually a brazilian dish named Caldo Xochitl, but it means pretty soup and that is what we call it because there is no way we would be able to pronounce that…
This is a chicken soup recipe that you can add just about anything too. It is great for large families or groups or to make for a smaller group and freeze some for later.
My favorite part about it is that it a very healthy recipe and very simplistic.
Caldo Xochitl Soup (Pretty Soup) Recipe
- 1 Whole fryer Chicken or Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- ¼ Bunch of Cilantro Chopped if desired
- ½ tsp. black peppercorns
- about 2 quarts of water
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 1½ Cups Cooked Rice
- For toppings:
- Lime Wedges
- Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Serrano Chilies Chopped
- Green Onions Chopped
- Tomatoes Chopped
- If using fryer chicken:
- Simmer chicken and above ingredients for 1 hour
- Remove chicken and let it cool then shred for topping
- Take chicken off bones
- Let broth cool and skim off fat
- If using rotisserie chicken:
- remove chicken meat from bones of chicken
- Use remaining caracas to make the broth by placing it in the water with remaining ingredients for 1 hour
- Shred chicken that was removed
- Add chicken broth or bullion to increase flavor as needed
- After broth is made:
- Add carrots and simmer until tender
- Serve in bowl with rice, chicken, and other desired toppings
What would you top it with?
Be sure to check out the rest of our healthy meals.