Since it has been REALLY cold here lately (like 43 degrees 😉 ) I thought I would make a soup recipe that I haven’t made in a while.
This is actually a brazilian dish named Caldo Xochitl, but it means pretty soup and that is what we call it because there is no way we would be able to pronounce that… 😉
This is a chicken soup recipe that you can add just about anything too. It is great for large families or groups or to make for a smaller group and freeze some for later.
My favorite part about it is that it a very healthy recipe and very simplistic.
Caldo Xochitl Soup (Pretty Soup) Recipe
- 1 Whole fryer Chicken or Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- ¼ Bunch of Cilantro Chopped if desired
- ½ tsp. black peppercorns
- about 2 quarts of water
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 1½ Cups Cooked Rice
- For toppings:
- Lime Wedges
- Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Serrano Chilies Chopped
- Green Onions Chopped
- Tomatoes Chopped
- If using fryer chicken:
- Simmer chicken and above ingredients for 1 hour
- Remove chicken and let it cool then shred for topping
- Take chicken off bones
- Let broth cool and skim off fat
- If using rotisserie chicken:
- remove chicken meat from bones of chicken
- Use remaining caracas to make the broth by placing it in the water with remaining ingredients for 1 hour
- Shred chicken that was removed
- Add chicken broth or bullion to increase flavor as needed
- After broth is made:
- Add carrots and simmer until tender
- Serve in bowl with rice, chicken, and other desired toppings
What would you top it with?
Be sure to check out the rest of our healthy meals.