These budget chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite homemade dishes. I love mexican food in general, but these always seem to hit the spot.
These are one of those things that our kids like as well. Which are few and far between especially lately. When I am on a restricted diet, I usually just leave the cheese off so they are dairy free. They still taste wonderful without the cheese!
Budget Chicken Enchiladas
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Place chicken in a pan and cover with water. Boil chicken until cooked and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, shred the chicken and put to the side again.
- In a skillet add oil and heat slightly. Add cilantro, green onion, and Jalapeño and saute for 2-4 minutes.
- Add chicken back in and stir until combined
- Add 1 can of enchilada sauce and heat through. This could take up to 5 mins.
- Get a large bowl that fits the corn tortillas and pour 1 can of sauce into it and heat in the microwave.
- After heating the sauce, wrap the tortillas in a wet paper towel and heat them in the microwave for 1-2 mins, depending on your microwave.
- Take one tortilla and dunk it in the heated sauce. Place chicken mixture in the center and roll tortilla and pace it in the pan. Repeat this process until all the chicken mixture is gone.
- Add remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and cover with cheese
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 mins or until cheese is melted
- To serve, place lettuce on plate and cover with enchiladas. Then add toppings of choice.
Be sure to check out more recipes for cooking on a budget.